Neurology Staff Physician – The VA Long Beach Healthcare System – Long Beach, CA
July 19, 2023
The VA Long Beach Healthcare System seeks full-time Neurology staff physicians subspecialized in Headache, Cognitive Neurology, or General Neurology.
The Neurology Section at the Long Beach VA is a rapidly growing academic program affiliated with the University of California, Irvine. Ideal applicants will be fellowship trained in their subspecialty, as well as board certified in Neurology. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong background in clinical excellence with a commitment to education. Previous experience in teaching is highly recommended, as our inpatient consult service and outpatient clinics have residents working closely with attendings.
The VA Long Beach Healthcare System is a complexity 1a facility that serves the needs of more than 50,000 veterans in Orange County and Los Angeles County through one main campus and seven community-based outpatient clinics. Our main campus is the Tibor Rubin VA Healthcare System in Long Beach, which is a state-of-the-art teaching hospital providing a full range of health services including comprehensive inpatient, outpatient, and extended care programs for veterans. Additionally, the Long Beach VA is committed to supporting research and educational programs to lead the way in improving tomorrow’s healthcare.
We are in beautiful Southern California, and since we are a mile from the Pacific Ocean there are stunning ocean views from the hospital. Long Beach is centrally located near Los Angeles, San Diego, multiple world-renowned beaches, and snow-capped mountains, which provide a wealth of cultural and recreational opportunities.
Long Beach, CA is a beautiful place. It is famous for the spectacular Queen Mary Ship, permanently docked at Long Beach Harbor. The Aquarium of the Pacific, which is a common and family favorite. Having excellent greenery in the middle of an urban sprawl, Rich in museums and city history. Long Beach is within the proximity of the Los Angeles entertainment and touristic scenes. For more please check out 12 Best Things to Do in Long Beach, CA | U.S. News Travel (usnews.com) and 33 Best Things to Do in LA | U.S. News Travel (usnews.com)
Overall enjoy all southern California and what it has to offer. Please check out 25 Best Things to Do in Southern California (for 2023) (familydestinationsguide.com) for more information.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am-4:30pm (80-hour biweekly outpatient work shifts), with occasional coverage of the pager on evening and weekends when covering the inpatient consult service.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens.
- Must possess a current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state, territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completed Residency and Fellowship Training in an accredited core specialty program.
- Preferred minimum of 5 years of practice, but not required.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Neurology.
- Cognitive Neurology, Headache, or General Neurology expertise.
Benefits: We Offer the following:
- Competitive Salary Range: $250,000-$289,000, Final Salary determination within this range.
- Performance awards: Receive up to $15,000 in additional annual performance pay.
- Regular increases: Receive cost of living increases annually (when signed into federal law), and salary reviews and longevity increase every two years.
- Liability Protection: VHA physicians are covered under federal tort laws and may be defended by the United States against allegations of malpractice or negligence.
- Health insurance: With Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB), choose from a variety of self or family health maintenance organizations.
- Dental and vision insurance: Under the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP), supplemental dental and/or vision benefits are available to you and your family.
- Life insurance: Plan for what’s next with Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI), which is group term life insurance covering you and eligible family members.
- Pension: Your basic annuity is computed based on your length of service and “high-3” average salary and become vested in the FERS Basic/Defined Benefit pension after only five years of creditable civilian service.
- Thrift Savings Plan (Federal 401k Equivalent) 5 % agency match: TSP lets you contribute up to $22,500 a year to your account. Become vested after only 3 years of creditable civilian service.
- Long-term care: Under the Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program, VA physicians can access long-term care coverage for home care, adult day care and facility care.
- Survivor benefits: Become eligible for survivor benefits after 10 years of service.
- Annual Leave (Paid Time Off): You will receive 208 hours or approximately 26 days of annual leave a year. Paid vacation, unlimited accumulated paid sick leave and 11 paid federal holidays accrue right away.
- Continuing education: As a VA physician, you can earn CME credits at no cost. You can receive $1,000 or more annually and five days or more of paid absences to attend CME courses (conditions apply).
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: VA employees are eligible.
- Education Debt Reduction Program is Authorized: Reimbursement program that repays qualifying student loan debt up to $200,000 tax-free for up to five years, or service periods
- Credit for military service: Have you earned service credits from your time in military service? Don’t worry — if you move to a federal job at VA, you may carry over service time that is added to your total years of work for retirement purposes.
- Leadership skills development: VA provides a competitive, three-tiered continuum of leadership development at the local, network and national levels for employees with the potential and desire to serve in leadership positions.
- Service without strings: Whether you serve full or part time, your employment at VA is “at will” and without employment contracts, noncompete clauses, restrictive covenants, or other significant restrictions on outside work.
- Receive assistance: Under VA’s Employment Assistance Program (EAP), get free, short-term counseling and other services to cope with the stresses of life and other issues.
Experience peace of mind knowing you and your family will be well cared for! #WorkatVA
I Choose VA, VISN 22 and you should to!
Please click the following link to Schedule a meeting with me