What is the American Headache Society?
The Core Goal of the American Headache Society (AHS) is to improve the lives of people impacted by migraine and other headache disorders. The AHS is a professional society of health care providers dedicated to the study and treatment of headache and face pain. The Society’s objective is to promote the exchange of information and ideas concerning the causes and treatments of headache and related painful disorders. Educating physicians, health professionals, and the public and encouraging scientific research are the primary functions of our Society. AHS activities include an Annual Scientific Meeting, a comprehensive headache symposium, regional symposia for neurologists and family practice physicians, publication of the journal Headache and sponsorship of the American Migraine Foundation.
Objectives of the AHS
- Develop effective methods to reach and train primary care physicians as well as specialists interested in the field of headache.
- Raise the awareness and support of headache diagnosis and treatment among people with headache, their families, Managed Care Organizations, etc.
- Achieve increased support for research in headache from medical schools, the National Institutes of Health, industry, clinical departments and private sources.
- Develop relationships with key governmental, business and health care agencies and officials to communicate the economic, political, and human importance of headache.
Continuing Medical Education
The Society’s educational objective is to continue to improve the knowledge, skills and professional performance of physicians, psychologists and other health professionals in the care of patients with head, neck and orofacial pain by:
- Providing a forum for presentation of free scientific communication on research and clinical practice
- Providing educational symposia
- Improving education in medical schools and residency programs
- Identifying and developing new educational initiatives
- Supporting education programs directed to people with head, neck and orofacial pain
- Maintaining strict adherence to ACCME guidelines
- Developing educational activities and tools that are designed, and then evaluated, for their role in improving the learners’ competence, performance and the overall quality and safety of the care they give to individuals suffering from head, neck and orofacial pain
AHS Board of Directors
The AHS Board of Directors helps to ensure success of the missions and objectives of the society. In addition to organizing events and educational symposia, they also perform research and provide support to headache professionals and patients.