Members' Choice Award for the Best "Headache" Article
Each year, the Headache® Journal Editorial Board invites the members of the American Headache Society to vote for one standout piece published in the journal from the previous year. The nominated articles are selected by the journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Amy Gelfand, MD, FAHS, and represent the most impactful work published over the previous 12 months.
Voting is open during the month of March, and all selected papers will be made freely available during the voting period.
The selected paper will be announced in the July-August issue of Headache and at the Annual Scientific Meeting. The authors of the winning paper will be notified ahead of time and asked to contribute an editorial discussing their work.
Candidates for the best article published in Headache® in 2022 are as follows:
- Narrative review of peripheral nerve blocks for the management of headache (Jennifer I. Stern MD, Chia-Chun Chiang MD, Narayan R. Kissoon MD, Carrie E. Robertson MD)
- Short-term stroke risk after emergency department treat-and-release headache visit (Ava L. Liberman MD, Cenai Zhang MS, Richard B. Lipton MD, MS, Hooman Kamel MD, MS, Neal S. Parikh MD, MS, Babak B. Navi MD, MS, Alan Z. Segal MD, Junaid Razzak MD, David E. Newman-Toker MD, PhD, Alexander E. Merkler MD, MS)
- Physical activity pattern and migraine according to aura symptoms in the Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health (ELSA-Brasil) cohort: A cross-sectional study (Arão Belitardo Oliveira PhD, Mario Fernando Prieto Peres MD, PhD, Juliane Prieto Peres Mercante PhD, Maria del Carmen B. Molina PhD, Paulo A. Lotufo MD, PhD, Isabela M. Benseñor MD, PhD, Alessandra C. Goulart MD, PhD)
- The relationship of headache as a symptom to COVID-19 survival: A systematic review and meta-analysis of survival of 43,169 inpatients with COVID-19 (Víctor J. Gallardo MSc, Robert E. Shapiro MD, PhD, Edoardo Caronna MD, PhD, Patricia Pozo-Rosich MD, PhD)
- The unique role of stigma in migraine-related disability and quality of life (Elizabeth K. Seng PhD, Robert E. Shapiro MD, PhD, Dawn C. Buse PhD, Matthew S. Robbins MD, Richard B. Lipton MD, Amanda Parker PhD)
AHS members in good standing should log into their member account and click on the “Membership” tab to access the ballot and cast their vote from March 1 – 31, 2023.
2022 – Management of primary headaches during pregnancy, postpartum, and breastfeeding: A systematic review (Ian J. Saldanha MBBS, MPH, PhD, Wangnan Cao PhD, Monika Reddy Bhuma BDS, MPH, Kristin J. Konnyu PhD, Gaelen P. Adam MLIS, MPH, Shivani Mehta BA, Andrew R. Zullo PharmD, PhD, Kenneth K. Chen MD, Julie L. Roth MD, Ethan M. Balk MD, MPH)
2021 – Alterations in Brain Function After Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Migraine in Children and Adolescents (Hadas Nahman-Averbuch PhD, Victor J. Schneider II BSc, Leigh Ann Chamberlin RD, Med, Ashley M. Kroon Van Diest PhD, James L. Peugh PhD, Gregory R. Lee PhD, Rupa Radhakrishnan MD, MS, Andrew D. Hershey MD, PhD, FAHS, Christopher D. King PhD, Robert C. Coghill PhD, Scott W. Powers PhD, ABPP, FAHS)
2020 – Eleven Things Not to Say to Your Female Colleagues (Clarimar Borrero-Mejias; Amaal J. Starling; Rebecca Burch; Elizabeth Loder)
2019 – Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension: 10 Myths and Misperceptions (Peter G. Kranz, Linda Gray, Timothy J. Amrhein)
Migraine Progression: A Systematic Review (Dawn C. Buse, Jacob D. Greisman, Khosrow Baigi and Richard B. Lipton)
2018 – Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: Findings From the Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial (Deborah I Friedman, Peter A. Quiros, Prem S. Subramanian, Luis J. Mejico, Shan Gao, Michael McDermott, Michael Wall)
2017 – Functional Neuroimaging in Migraine: Chances and Challenges (Laura H. Schulte and Arne May)
The Role of Melatonin in the Treatment of Primary Headache Disorders (Amy Gelfand and Peter J. Goadsby)
2016 – Adding Additional Acute Medications to a Triptan Regiment for Migraine and Observed Changes in Headache-Related Disability: Results From the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study (Dawn Buse, Daniel Serrano, Michael Reed, Shashi h. Kori, Cedric M Cunanan, Aubrey Manack Adams and Richard B. Lipton)
2015 – Trigger Point Injections for Headache Disorders: Expert Consensus Methodology and Narrative Review (Matthew S. Robbins, Deena Kuruvilla, Andrew Blumenfeld, Larry Charleston IV, Michael Sorrell, Carrie E. Robertson, Brian M. Grosberg, Steven D. Bender, Uri Napchan and Avi Ashkenazi)