Full Time Advanced Practice Practitioner – Michigan State University Dept of Neurology – East Lansing, MI
December 19, 2022
Michigan State University Department of Neurology seeks applicants for a full-time outpatient Advance Practice Practitioner position to provide subspecialty care in the Headache and Facial Pain Division.
Michigan State University Colleague of Human Medicine Headache & Facial Pain Division (HFPD) mission is to advance knowledge and positively transform lives. We will accomplish this by:
- Providing the highest quality patient-centered headache medicine care in a culture of compassion and respect for patients, families, and colleagues.
- Contributing to MSU’s commitment to educating exemplary physicians and scholars, discovering, and disseminating new knowledge, and providing service at home and abroad.
- Enhancing our communities by providing outstanding headache specialty care, promoting the dignity and inclusion of all people, and responding to the needs of the medically underserved.
Our HFPD team members provide exceptional care to patients with headache disorders, have given educational lectures on local to international platforms, have published in top tier journals, serve in national organizations and committees, conduct clinical research and so much more. We are currently seeking an outstanding and motivated Advance Practice Provider (APP) with a positive mental attitude and strong desire for continuing education to join our amazing team.
The Headache Medicine APP: Nurse Practitioner (NP)/Physician Assistant (PA) will:
- Understand and explain headache diagnosis and classification to appropriately care for patients
- assess and manage patient health problems including actual and potential conditions within an outpatient Headache Neurology clinic.
- Plan, implement and evaluate health care treatments.
- Under the supervision of an attending neurologist, assess laboratory findings including blood tests, electromyography, MRI, CT Scan and X-rays.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to individualize patient care to manage illness, promote wellbeing, foster rehabilitative and disease preventive lifestyle choices.
- Prescribe medications and supportive therapies to help maintain health.
- Communicate with patients, their significant others and their primary health care providers.
- Work well in teams, have confidence working independently, know and be able to think inside and outside the norms, at the same time know their limitations.
- assessing individual participants health status, performing detailed neurological examinations,
- assessing current drug therapies and potential interactions,
- liaising with health care providers,
- interpreting laboratory results,
- Provide current information on migraine, headache medicine and or facial pain research developments and education regarding medications to both participants and ancillary staff.
- Help research participants to understand their disease process and medications.
- Communicate clinical findings to physicians, research scientists and lay persons on a weekly basis.
- Educate nurses and ancillary staff about disease processes, facial injections for Chemodenervation medications, physical examination and history taking as well as detailed neurological examination.
- Serve as a resource for RNs to aid with clinical queries.
- Provide telephone triage, including prescribing necessary pharmacological interventions, including providing emotional support to the patient significant others.
- Keep up with seeing patients
- Continuous learning of Headache Medicine practice and principles
- Willingness to learn about procedures in headache medicine
- Graduate of an accredited nurse practitioner program OR a graduate of an accredited physician assistant program
- Licensed in the state of MI
- NP Specialty Certification OR NCCPA Certification
- Current BLS/CPR at time of hire with commitment to get BART within six months of hire date
- Minimum 1 year of licensed NP or PA work, headache experience preferred. Due to advanced practice credentialing eligibility, clinical advanced practice experience must be within the last two years gained through school or work experience
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
To apply for posting #814202, please go to the MSU Careers Website at: https://careers.msu.edu/en-us/listing/.