Members' Choice Award for the Best Headache Article
Each year, the Headache® Journal Editorial Board invites the members of the American Headache Society to vote for one standout piece published in the journal from the previous year. The nominated articles are selected by the journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Ward, MD, FAHS, and represent the most impactful work published over the previous 12 months.
Voting is open during the month of March, and all selected papers will be made freely available during the voting period.
The selected paper will be announced in the July-August issue of Headache and at the Annual Scientific Meeting. The authors of the winning paper will be notified ahead of time and asked to contribute an editorial discussing their work.
Candidates for the best article published in Headache® in 2019 are as follows:
1. The Influence of Migraine on Driving: Current Understanding, Future Directions, and Potential Implications of Findings (Stewart J. Tepper, MD; Stephen D. Silberstein, MD; Noah L. Rosen, MD; Richard B. Lipton, MD;Ellen B. Dennehy, PhD; Sherie A. Dowsett, PhD; Erin Doty, MD)
2. Eleven Things Not to Say to Your Female Colleagues (Clarimar Borrero-Mejias, MD; Amaal J. Starling, MD; Rebecca Burch, MD; Elizabeth Loder, MD, MPH)
3. Remote Electrical Neuromodulation (REN) Relieves Acute Migraine: A Randomized, Double‐Blind, Placebo‐Controlled, Multicenter Trial(David Yarnitsky, MD; David W. Dodick, MD; Brian M. Grosberg, MD; Rami Burstein, PhD; Alon Ironi, MSEE; Dagan harris, PhD; Tamar Lin, PhD; Stephen D. Silberstein, MD)
4. CGRP and Brain Functioning: Cautions for Migraine Treatment (Jonathan M. Borkum, PhD)
5. Did Going North Give Us Migraine? An Evolutionary Approach on Understanding Latitudinal Differences in Migraine Epidemiology (Alessandro Vigano, MD, PhD; Andrea Manica, PhD; Vittorio Di Piero, MD, PhD; Michela Leonardi, PhD)
The voting period has ended, thank you to all members who participated!
2019 – Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension: 10 Myths and Misperceptions (Peter G. Kranz, Linda Gray, Timothy J. Amrhein)
Migraine Progression: A Systematic Review (Dawn C. Buse, Jacob D. Greisman, Khosrow Baigi and Richard B. Lipton)
2018 – Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: Findings From the Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial (Deborah I Friedman, Peter A. Quiros, Prem S. Subramanian, Luis J. Mejico, Shan Gao, Michael McDermott, Michael Wall)
2017 – Functional Neuroimaging in Migraine: Chances and Challenges (Laura H. Schulte and Arne May)
The Role of Melatonin in the Treatment of Primary Headache Disorders (Amy Gelfand and Peter J. Goadsby)
2016 – Adding Additional Acute Medications to a Triptan Regiment for Migraine and Observed Changes in Headache-Related Disability: Results From the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study (Dawn Buse, Daniel Serrano, Michael Reed, Shashi h. Kori, Cedric M Cunanan, Aubrey Manack Adams and Richard B. Lipton)
2015 – Trigger Point Injections for Headache Disorders: Expert Consensus Methodology and Narrative Review (Matthew S. Robbins, Deena Kuruvilla, Andrew Blumenfeld, Larry Charleston IV, Michael Sorrell, Carrie E. Robertson, Brian M. Grosberg, Steven D. Bender, Uri Napchan and Avi Ashkenazi)