Members' Choice Award for the Best "Headache" Article
Each year, the Headache® Journal Editorial Board invites the members of the American Headache Society to vote for one standout piece published in the journal from the previous year. The nominated articles are selected by the journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Amy Gelfand, MD, FAHS, and represent the most impactful work published over the previous 12 months.
Voting is open during the month of March, and all selected papers will be made freely available during the voting period.
The selected paper will be announced in the July-August issue of Headache and at the Annual Scientific Meeting. The authors of the winning paper will be notified ahead of time and asked to contribute an editorial discussing their work.
Candidates for the best article in Headache in 2020 are as follows:
- Alterations in Brain Function After Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Migraine in Children and Adolescents (Hadas Nahman-Averbuch PhD, Victor J. Schneider II BSc, Leigh Ann Chamberlin RD, Med, Ashley M. Kroon Van Diest PhD, James L. Peugh PhD, Gregory R. Lee PhD, Rupa Radhakrishnan MD, MS, Andrew D. Hershey MD, PhD, FAHS, Christopher D. King PhD, Robert C. Coghill PhD, Scott W. Powers PhD, ABPP, FAHS)
- Stimulation of Posterior Thalamic Nuclei Induces Photophobic Behavior in Mice. (Levi P. Sowers PhD, Mengya Wang MS, Brandon J. Rea BS, Rebecca J. Taugher PhD, Adisa Kuburas BS, Youngcho Kim PhD, John A. Wemmie MD, PhD, Christopher S. Walker PhD, Debbie L. Hay PhD, Andrew F. Russo PhD)
- A Randomized, Double – Dummy, Emergency Department – Based Study of Greater Occipital Nerve Block With Bupivacaine vs. Intravenous Metoclopramide for Treatment of Migraine (Benjamin W. Friedman MD, Eddie Irizarry MD, Andrew Williams MD, Clemencia Solorzano PharmD, Eleftheria Zias RPh, Matthew S. Robbins MD, Melissa A. Harrilal PA-C, Michael Del Valle MD, Polly E. Bijur PhD, E. John Gallagher MD)
- Smartphone – Delivered Progressive Muscle Relaxation for the Treatment of Migraine in Primary Care: A Randomized Controlled Trial (Mia T. Minen MD, MPH, Samrachana Adhikari PhD, Jane Padikkala MPH, Sumaiya Tasneem MPH, Ashley Bagheri MS, Eric Goldberg MD, Scott Powers PhD, Richard B. Lipton MD)
- A Historical Review of Headaches: Who First Described Them and When did This Occur? (Wallyson Pablo de Oliveira Souza, Patrick Mesquita Sousa-Santos, Raimundo Pereira Silva-Néto MD, MSc, PhD)
AHS members in good standing should log into their member account and click on the “Membership” tab to access the ballot and cast their vote.
2020 – Eleven Things Not to Say to Your Female Colleagues (Clarimar Borrero-Mejias; Amaal J. Starling; Rebecca Burch; Elizabeth Loder)
2019 – Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension: 10 Myths and Misperceptions (Peter G. Kranz, Linda Gray, Timothy J. Amrhein)
Migraine Progression: A Systematic Review (Dawn C. Buse, Jacob D. Greisman, Khosrow Baigi and Richard B. Lipton)
2018 – Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: Findings From the Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial (Deborah I Friedman, Peter A. Quiros, Prem S. Subramanian, Luis J. Mejico, Shan Gao, Michael McDermott, Michael Wall)
2017 – Functional Neuroimaging in Migraine: Chances and Challenges (Laura H. Schulte and Arne May)
The Role of Melatonin in the Treatment of Primary Headache Disorders (Amy Gelfand and Peter J. Goadsby)
2016 – Adding Additional Acute Medications to a Triptan Regiment for Migraine and Observed Changes in Headache-Related Disability: Results From the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study (Dawn Buse, Daniel Serrano, Michael Reed, Shashi h. Kori, Cedric M Cunanan, Aubrey Manack Adams and Richard B. Lipton)
2015 – Trigger Point Injections for Headache Disorders: Expert Consensus Methodology and Narrative Review (Matthew S. Robbins, Deena Kuruvilla, Andrew Blumenfeld, Larry Charleston IV, Michael Sorrell, Carrie E. Robertson, Brian M. Grosberg, Steven D. Bender, Uri Napchan and Avi Ashkenazi)